Sunday, April 4, 2010

Man Yeh Bawra ...

Mind .. heart ..soul.. they need a break sometime , from all the craziness and chaos around .. and a random good act can do precisely that for you sometimes.. it doesn't necessarily have to be a deed, can just be some simple good words , that go a long way in making a difference in someone's day..

Like yesterday morning.. I must have surely got up on the wrong side of the bed after having terrible sleep night before last. Disturbingly ridden with visions of sharks eating sharks.. and as if that wasn't sufficient the sharks were after me too with insatiated hunger.. talk about a nightmare with and appetite!! .. But it would not have been so bad if I hadn't watched Deep Blue Sea before hitting the bed .. although, I would not have really watched it if I hadn't had a terrible argument with my sweetheart about why he can never ever say the right things at the right time .. and picked the first dvd on my shelf to watch.. But geez, all I wanted from him was some good old mollifying , and well to tell the truth I would not have needed that if it weren't for the terrible time I had completing my project at work.. and feeling miserable about my uselessness and underproductivity.. which soon transformed into depression and better more terrible rage by the time I took the phone call in question ..

However it wasn't entirely my fault that I wasn't able to focus better at work.. it was the by product of the horrid migraine I has picked up waiting for my train at the station.. in what I call the "worst weather joke" by God or Mother nature.. whoever designs these storms!! One full week of lovely sunny weather.. and then the next morning its whizzing chilliness all over the land !! People say I am crazy.. did y'all take a look at the weather today ?!

So you see it really wasn't my fault that I was in a bad mood the next day morning.. I told myself I need chocolate .. just what the doctor ordered for the depressed heart ..I opened the refrigerator and reached the chocolate milk carton, cursing simultaneously over some email that popped up on my iPhone ( amazing how many instruments I have to make life complicated!) . I kept groping in the fridge but no chocolate milk .. just leftovers .. At this point I could have started crying.. but the clock in the microwave said 'not now.. no time' . Miserable , I picked my bags and decided to pick milk at the nearest grocery store . So I did. I picked up a bottle of my anti-depressant chocolate milk and headed straight for the cashier with a really morose, dejected, life's-so-not-fair expression..

I looked up as I was being billed by an elderly lady , she gave me a smile filled with care and said 'What happened dear .. itna serious kyun ho ? Sab theek hai na ?' I stared at her surprisingly .. Not that it was difficult to understand my miserable self from my expression, but I did not expect a complete stranger to ask me if all's well .. !!

I stared at her for several seconds before she smiled warmly again , like the wise folk often do, and said 'Sab theek hojayega .. Whatever it is it will be alright' I let out a deep sigh, and smiled at her , the first one in several hours. I payed my fare and left.. and I felt lighter, like a helium balloon, that's just been untied from its weights.. Was it the chocolate milk ? I think not ..

I held on to the smile till I reached work, I looked down at my half done project .. sighed again and sat down typing furiously when I heard a knock on my cube - my boss! I was sure to get beaten for my 'intolerable procrastination' ..so I gave him a huge smile with a dash of sorry-sheepishness , and said I will deliver the results by the next day .. Surprisingly he returned my smile, and went away , not before giving me 'friendly reminders' about deadlines.. Hah! I thought to myself, that went well.. pleased at it I was going to return to my work , when my phone rang , it was my sweetheart , he said something so absurd that I started laughing out loud .. no anger, any other time I would have retorted with 'What the ... ' But today my heart went out to him... I was smiling.. I could almost hear him relieved and well smiling!! ...

So you see.. a random good act can bring more smiles than you expect ... Crazy isn't it?

No comments: