Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Shaam - e - Gham ki Qasam

Life goes on no matter what happens, people find a way to balance their lives.. That's what I penned down last ..

However today I have a different story to say - yes life goes on, but there are defining moments in life that make you a person you are, but this post isn’t really about those character building moments .. this is about those times when , even if its for a short while.. you realize that life isn’t really as predictable as you thought it was.. and sometimes there are no solutions that can make everything OK. This is about situations/ incidents /tragedies that compel you to re-think the way you have lived life, the way you’ve perceived yourself and those around you and bring back the lost humanity in you..

We as humans have an amazing mind that partitions itself so well that your day to day activities completely shut off the realities around the world.. and it takes a 9.2 Richter scale earthquake or a disastrous tsunami that claims millions of lives for us to wake up to the fact that we are slowly but surely being obliterated from the earth.. Whether or not we find another planet is a topic for another day. Whether the earth is just shaking us off of itself or whether its our own doing that has brought us to this stage is a question that has now lost its relevance, what is interesting though is that we are the most advanced form of life on earth and we haven't yet found a way to minimize if not completely evade human loss in natural disasters..

Yet.. this blog post is not about mass scale loss of life either.. its about the little incidents that are more closer.. living miles away from Haiti or Indonesia , earthquakes/tsunamis seem distant , something that cannot really happen or affect me.. What does disturb me though is the news of increasing number of deaths by DUIs, kids being kidnapped, raped and killed , stories of personal vengeance turning to massacres.

These days there is a report about at least one of the gory things I mentioned .. I generally go past these stories, to the science and technology section to see what Apple has got out in the market, its latest weapon to destroy what's left of the rest of the industry. But the day I do read them, especially the ones where kids are involved, I am pushed into a thought process that ends with me being skeptical about people around me, teachers, doctors, therapists, even clergy men - all but friends and family. Scared of future , thinking what if.. I were there ? What if it was one of my own? What do I do to protect the people I love? What do I do to make this world a safer place.. I'm visibly shaken and terribly disturbed.. But then.. I am after all a human, and a few hours later.. my minds calms itself and directs its focus on the papers lying on the desk, half empty cup of herbal tea and a half typed document , minimized on the computer screen.. Yes my mind has at this point successfully found a small partition of my brain where it can push these thoughts into and maintain peace for now.

You might think I am on a overdose of medicine.. or rather Law & Order SVU or CSI.. but no , this is real, more possible than a earthquake killing you, more probable than drowning in a tsunami.. not to undermine any of those tragedies.. but somehow these are happening closer to your world and at an alarmingly high rate. Crime used to fascinate me as a kid, it still does, but it sure can be scary... and its in these moments I close my eyes and am thankful for being alive , healthy and safe.. in all the unpredictability that surrounds the little world I've enveloped myself in.

No comments: